Tipalti is looking to hire a dynamic and talented lawyer and data protection officer for its Dutch subsidiary (Tipalti B.V.). Reporting to the Senior Product, Regulatory and Commercial Counsel (in the UK), the successful candidate will have a key legal role within Tipalti B.V., with responsibility for drafting, negotiating and managing various contractual deliverables, and also taking a leading role in managing regional data protection and privacy matters.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Dutch-qualified lawyer to join Tipalti’s Legal team, which has primary responsibility for supporting Tipalti’s sales, marketing, and procurement functions, and also advising other internal stakeholders. The team is small, with 11 legal professionals (based in Canada, the UK and the U.S.), who are passionate about all things fintech-related and helping Tipalti deliver great financial automation tools to a growing client base.
Being based in Tipalti’s recently-established Amsterdam office and as Tipalti’s second European lawyer, this role presents a great opportunity for growth in in-house commercial transactions practice, privacy and data protection, within the payments industry, and beyond.
Job Responsibilities (50% commercial; 35% data protection/privacy; 15% corporate):
- Drafting and negotiating complex agreements ranging from financial services, professional services, software licenses, software as a service, development, support and supplier agreements.
Serve and advise rapidly growing internal sales and procurement organisations.
- Support creation and implementation of effective legal operational processes to more efficiently handle high-volume contract needs, both for regional matters and as part of wider initiatives coordinated amongst Tipalti’s global team.
- Maintain a high value for client service and have experience in collaborating with disparate groups to achieve solutions.
- Act as primary legal contact for Tipalti B.V. in connection with EEA-related matters, with support and oversight from the Senior Product, Regulatory and Commercial Counsel.
- Serve as Tipalti B.V.’s data protection officer (including registration with the Dutch Data Protection Authority), managing all relevant regional data protection and privacy matters. The role-holder will do so in partnership with the Privacy Legal team (predominantly based in Vancouver, Canada and Foster City, U.S.), which is also led by Tipalti’s General Counsel and Group Data Protection Officer.
- Support the Director of Legal, Corporate (based in Foster City, U.S.) with corporate matters, including but not limited to record keeping (i.e., minute taking and corporate resolutions) and filings relating to Tipalti’s Dutch entities; general familiarity with Dutch company law would be beneficial for this purpose.
- Being Tipalti’s first Dutch lawyer, act as internal Dutch counsel for the Legal team.
- Remain well-versed in technology and licensing (or develop a meaningful understanding of the same), with a critical eye towards risk and regulatory issues.
- Work with senior management and implement processes on a cross-functional basis in a fast-paced environment
- Full fluency in Dutch and English. English is used as Tipalti’s principal working language however fluency in Dutch is also required, given wider role deliverables in the Netherlands. Fluency in other languages - particularly French, German or Spanish - would be a plus.
- Law or equivalent degree, with current bar membership in the Netherlands. Any additional bar admissions are a plus, particularly in civil law jurisdictions.
- Five or more years of post-qualification experience, practising in-house and/or at a law firm in connection with commercial and privacy transactions.
- Exceptional drafting skills, with attention to detail and an ability to generate ‘self-drafted’ documents.
- Outstanding communication skills, a solid sense of humour, and the ability to work both in teams and independently to forge effective working partnerships.
- Experience in financial services is not strictly necessary though familiarity with EU / Dutch financial regulations relevant to e-money or payment institutions would be helpful. More significant however, is a willingness and energy to learn.
- Confident self-starter with strong interpersonal and organisational skills, and a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide sound legal advice, exercise good business judgment.
- Experience in quarterly SaaS sales cycles is a plus.
- Experience with the EU GDPR and ePD (as implemented in the Netherlands) is essential; experience with the California CPA, UK GDPR and other privacy requirements is a plus.
- Comfortable acting as a sole counsel, for the foreseeable future, within Tipalti’s Amsterdam office and becoming a trusted legal partner to local stakeholders.
Companies like Twitch, Twitter, GoDaddy, and Roblox entrust Tipalti to scale their business ra